Clyde A. Sluhan's death on November 6 deprived The Rockford Institute of one of its most devoted and effective patrons. One of the original directors of the Institute, Clyde had served a term as Board Chairman, and at the age of 85 was still an active member of the Institute's Executive Committee.
Born in Cleveland, Clyde grew up in the Lutheran Orphans' Home of Toledo where, as reported by his son Elliott, a profound belief in God and a dedication to service became central features of his life. The Campus Crusade for Christ, Jews for Jesus, and the Gideons were some of the organizations that benefited from his involvement and gifts.
After graduating from Ohio Wesleyan University with a major in chemistry, Clyde Sluhan worked in several manufacturing firms. His chief concern was how to create a better water-solvent lubricating/ cooling fluid for high-speed metal-working machines. In an interview several years ago, he told how he labored "night after night, three and a half years, three and a half thousand tries," until he hit on the right formula for just such a fluid.
Once satisfied with the product, he founded Master Chemical Corporation in 1951. It eventually became a primary national supplier for automotive, aeronautic, and other industries involved in cutting and grinding metals. The success of the company in a competitive field was due to the high quality not only of the product but...